6 whole wheat lasagna noodles
1 tsp olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 bag spinach, washed
1 package of low-fat ground turkey breast (such as Jennie-O extra lean ground turkey breast)
2 jars tomato sauce (try to find one with less than 50 calories per 1/2 cup such as Whole Foods 365 brand Tomato Basil)
1 can of low sodium diced tomatoes
1 container of fat-free ricotta cheese
1 package of 2% shredded mozzarella cheese
Dash of pepper and parsley, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook 6 whole wheat pasta noodles (about 1/2 package) according to cooking directions on box
- Meanwhile, saute onion and peppers in olive oil. After a few minutes, add spinach and a few dashes of garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Remove cooked vegetables and put in separate bowl.
- Cook ground turkey breast in same saute pan until all meet has a white color.
- Add 2 jars of tomato sauce, vegetable mix and can of tomatoes to the cooked turkey meat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mix ricotta cheese, egg, pepper and parsley.
- Spray 9x13 pan with cooking spray and layer: sauce, 3 noodles, entire ricotta cheese mixture, majority of sauce, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese (1/3 package), 3 remaining noodles, remainder of sauce, and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese (1/3 package).
- Bake covered with tin foil for 45 minutes; remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before enjoying.
Tip: The prep time may be more than other dishes but it makes such a huge portion that it's worth it. Freeze leftovers for delicious and easy meals!