White Chicken Chili
Servings: 5 bowls
Per serving: 267 calories, 23 g protein, 13 g fiber, 3 g fat and 37 g carbohydrates.
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 cans Great Northern beans, soaked and rinsed
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 1 14.5oz can low sodium chicken broth
- 1.5 jars of Frontera Grill salsa (Sold at Whole Foods or online, this salsa makes this dish amazing)
- 1/4 cup 2% shredded cheddar cheese
Heat olive oil in a soup pot on medium/high heat. Add onion, green pepper and garlic and cook until onions are translucent. Add cumin, beans, chicken and chicken broth. Stir well while pressing beans with spoon to break them apart. Add salsa and simmer for at least 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Garnish with 1 tablespoon of 2% shredded cheddar cheese.
Add a salad with fresh vegetables and a low fat dressing or balsamic vinegar for a well rounded meal.
TIP: Soaking and rinsing beans not only reduces sodium but also helps to remove the indigestible complex sugars (oligosaccharides) from the outer coating of the beans. Indigestible sugars = gas so soaking, rinsing and repeating is a great way to reduce this! Your family will be thankful too!