Serving Size: 3 tacos
Calories per taco: ~150 calories
- 1/4 cup onions, chopped
- 6 egg whites
- 1 T skim milk
- 1 low-fat chicken or turkey sausage, diced (I prefer Trader Joe's Chicken Apple Sausage)
- 3 corn tortillas
- 6T salsa, or to taste
- Optional: add low-fat cheese and/or other veggies
- Saute onions until translucent. Meanwhile, combine eggs and milk and add to cooked onions.
- Add diced sausage and turn eggs frequently until firm.
- Warm corn tortillas in microwave between two damp paper towels.
- Add egg mixture to warm tortilla and top with 2T salsa.
- Eat open face or roll as taco (I find Whole Foods brand corn tortillas stay together better than others)
- Option: add cheese if desired.
Corn vs flour tortillas: I choose corn tortillas because I enjoy the taste better and prefer products made with limited ingredients. Corn tortillas have 3 ingredients (corn, water, lime) and flour has a long list which may even include partially hydrogenated oils. Also, corn tortillas have fewer calories (about 50 vs 150 calories) and less fat.