Why should you shop at a farmers market?
- Food tastes better and may be better for you
- Food is picked when ripe which increases flavor and nutrients
- Most small farmers use less pesticides and farm organically
- Reduces energy and supplies used to transport crops long distances from the farm
- Healthier for the environment because farmers rotate their crops, which benefits the soil and plants
- Supports local farms
- Farmers only see ~20% of the price you pay at the supermarkets
- Supports local food pantries
- Farmers markets may donate excess food to help the community. Green City Market donates produce to the Lakeview Pantry during the summer months!